Because of their high auto-ignition temperatures, cooking oil fires are difficult to extinguish. In order to extinguish these fires they need to be cooled sufficiently therefore conventional extinguishers are not as effective due to risk of flash back and re-ignition.
Specialist wet chemical extinguishers are ideal for Class F fires, involving cooking oils and fats, such as lard, olive oil, sunflower oil, maize oil and butter. It is extremely effective as the wet chemical rapidly knocks the flames out, cools the burning oil and chemically reacts to form a soap-like solution, sealing the surface and preventing re-ignition.
SAFEQUIP’S WET CHEMICAL EXTINGUISHER is specifically designed to combat fires resulting from fats and edible oils burning in deep fryers. It is charged with a specially formulated wet chemical. The extinguisher is ideally suitable for use in restaurants, hospitals kitchens, nursing homes, hotels, schools, airports, and other similar facilities.
This wet chemical extinguisher reacts with hot, burning cooking oil or fat. When the fire extinguishing substance is applied to the burning liquid it will cool and emulsify the oil, and the flames will immediately subside. An effective fire extinguishing film of foam forms on the surface which prevents re-ignition.
The wet chemical agent is a special salt based fire extinguishing liquid used in fire extinguishers or stationary fire extinguishing installations for fighting fires in deep fat fryers, frying appliances as well as air exhaust facilities in kitchens and is applied finely distributed to the burning surface using spray nozzles.
ADVANTAGES AND FEATURES
- Wet Chemical Extinguishers are Suitable for cooking fat fires ‘Class and combustible materials ‘Class A’ (wood, paper and plastics) for which it carries a 13A Fire Rating.
- As the agent is sprayed in fine atomized droplets onto a cooking oil/fat-related fire, it provides excellent flame knock-down and surface-cooling.
- The cooling effect which it provides enhances its ability to prevent re-ignition.
- Passed 35kV conductivity of discharge test making it safe for the inevitable use on electrical appliances.
- Hose assembly incorporates a unique swivel connector for ease of directing the discharge.
- Tested to extinguish fires resulting from cooking oil and fat burning of up to 75 litres in size.
- User friendly comparatively light 6lt size.
- Lance and nozzle constructed from high quality stainless steel.
- Producing highly effective but gentle spray helps prevent hot oil splashing onto the user.
- Considered non corrosive to most metals.
- Biodegradable and non-toxic.
- Long shelf life.
- It is used as a portable extinguisher but the wet chemical is also suited for fixed fire extinguishing installations for deep fat fryers and cooker hoods.
- The Wet Chemical Agent can be easily removed after use with lots of water or a steam jet cleaner.
- It is normally used as a backup to an automatic fire suppression system
- The extinguisher is re-chargeable.
- The agent is pre-mixed, eliminating the need for dilution before system re-charging.